Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Person Society Tells You To Be

What did you want to be when you got older? When you got older, what did you want to be? For a lot of people those two questions will not have the same answer. As young as before Elementary school people ask children what they want to be when they grow up. The majority of kids will say the common professions like a fireman, police officer, doctor, teacher, lawyer, and veterinarian and of course adults get all excited to get the little ones thinking of their futures in successful professions. The thing is society influences a large portion of what majority of people do for a living, not so much because they are being evil and controlling but because it is the practical thing to do to keep afloat in this fluctuating American economy.


When I was a kid I wanted to be it all, whatever I was around or exposed to that is what I wanted to be. A ballerina when I took 1 ballet class (that was VERY short lived), a cop, veterinarian, paramedic, nurse but with all those ideas of what I wanted to be I ALWAYS had one hobby and that was film. I spent hundreds of dollars buying special edition DVDs just to see the special features on them. The "making of" was the first stop after watching the show/movie. I would spend night after night having the most vivid dreams of working on sets, assisting actors, directors, throwing out ideas and seeing my name appear in the credits right after the project. Once I woke up I would be overcome with sadness because I was so happy in my dreams only to wake up to realize it was a dream. As I grew older I never pursued that dream of film because I was told to get a job and work to pay bills, that was the number one priority.

I graduated high school and joined the air force, discharged after not passing my final run time and went to paramedic school. Didn't pass the EMT exam and instead of re-taking the exam I went straight to a non-vocational school and went to college to get a degree in nursing. All that time I was doing what was I was told, to get a good paying job with job security to make a living. After getting married and having a baby at 21, now at 23 I see why I never really finished anything. It is hard to finish something you are not passionate about. Now, I am finishing my associates to apply to nursing school and starting the film degree I have always wanted. I have finally seen how society itself was making me unhappy by following what it was pushing on to me, doing the practical thing.


The thing is after seeing so many celebs, directors, producers doing their dream job I thought to myself, why can't I do that too? Sure odds are against me especially since I know absolutely no one who works in the profession (which discouraged me in the first place) but nothing you really want will come to you easily.


The purpose of this is hopefully simple. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy the best of both worlds. Even though your dream may seem to be out of reach just remember all it takes is a bit of stretching and you will be able to reach that dream, just keep trying. Society will ALWAYS push you to do other things, but do not get lost in doing exactly what your told, just modify it a bit to get what you want out of life. Working in medicine I have seen lots of loss and come to see first hand that life is WAY too short to let it pass you by. Make a list of all you want you out of this life and DO IT, do not wait forever because the chance just might pass you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment